|A monthly newsletter on the most recent programs, events, and education opportunities at the Ward Museum of Wildfowl Art, Salisbury University.
Carve and Paint a Mallard Drake or Hen with Rich Smoker
June 7, 2018 – June 9, 2018, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Join world champion carver Rich Smoker as he walks you through the creation of your own mallard duck. Patterns will be available for either a drake or a hen, attendees can choose whichever they prefer. Cost for this class is $300 for members, $350 for non-members.
Summer Camps at the Ward Museum
June through August
Enroll your child into week-long summer camp programs at the Ward Museum, Salisbury University. Our camps range from ages 4 to 18 and run from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. every day for one week. For children ages four through eight, take whimsical adventures with our Dr. Seuss camp July 30th through August 3rd. Children aged six through twelve can explore the outdoors with our Nature Discovery camp (June 25-29), experiment with different mediums at Art Camp (August 20-24), and learn how to reuse recycled objects at Upcycling Camp (August 27-31). Finally, campers aged 13-18 will develop their wordcraft skills at Get Lit: Literature Camp (July 30 – August 3). All camps are $100 for Family level members or $125 for non-members
Ward Museum 50th Anniversary
This year the Ward Foundation celebrates its 50th anniversary! Established in 1968, the foundation preserves the legacy of Lem & Steve Ward, celebrates art, nature and traditions for generations to come! Save the date for the 50th anniversary Golden Goose Reception & Auction to be held on October 12, 2018. See our special 50th video here.
48th Annual Ward World Championships
Thank you to all our volunteers, guests, vendors, and competitors that helped make our 48th Annual Ward World Championship Wildfowl Carving and Art Festival a success! Congratulations to all of our competitors for entering your wonderful works of art! The new Ward World Championship winners are now on display in the Championship Gallery here at the Museum. We hope you can stop by and see these amazing winning pieces of art. The winners list is available on our website, www.wardmuseum.org. And please join us next year for the 49th Annual Ward World Championship Wildfowl Carving and Art Festival in Ocean City, Maryland taking place April 26-28, 2019.
June 23, 2018 10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
This festival showcases the traditional lifeways and cultural traditions of Delmarva as interpreted by regional tradition bearers. Indoor/ Outdoor event includes activities and programs for all ages.
Art In Nature Photo Festival
Save the Date for the 8th Annual Art in Nature Photo Festival, August 10-12, 2018. Professional and Amateur photographers, submit your best nature photos in a selection of categories. Submissions will start being accepted in July! For more information visit the Special Events section of our website, www.wardmuseum.org.
Delmarva Visions: The Works of Patrick Henry
January 26, 2018 – May 13, 2018
Patrick Henry is a painter and photographer who has been living and working on the Eastern Shore for most of his life. Over the course of many years he has gained a reputation as a skilled artist, able to capture the essence of Delmarva through his own vision of the people and places of the shore and its unique rhythms of life. This LaMay Gallery exhibit showcases the breadth of his years of work on the Eastern Shore.
UPCOMING: 50 Years of Art, Nature & Tradition: Ward Foundation Retrospective
April 20- August 19, 2018
The Ward Foundation celebrates its 50th anniversary in 2018. Established in 1968 to honor the legacy of Lem and Steve Ward, the foundation has grown to be a leader in the arts and cultural community of Maryland and beyond. This Welcome gallery exhibit showcases the history of the foundation, its leaders and its impact in the community and beyond.
UPCOMING: Through Artist Eyes: The Eastern Shore Revealed
May 18-September 23, 2018
Opening Reception: May 18, 5-7p.m.
Artists from across the Eastern Shore will exhibit works that explore the area’s natural and working landscapes, rich urban and rural lifeways, and the beauty of the everyday living in this special region. Works from a variety of media, including painting, photography, wood, stone and metal, will reveal the artistic vision and talents of those making art reflective of the Eastern Shore.
For all education programs or events, please contact the Ward Museum Education Department to register at 410-742-4988 ext. 110 or at email@example.com
Girl Scouts H2O – River Badge
May 12, 2018, 1 – 4 p.m.
Follow water down the river to the world’s wider waters. From fun to conservation, art to science, explore our local river systems to understand how water circulates across the planet – and how we can all contribute to keeping it beautiful and healthy. Fee $18 per girl, includes H2O patch.
Girl Scouts H2O – Bay Badge
June 9, 2018, 1– 4 p.m.
The Chesapeake and Delaware Bays are major nursery areas for a variety of life. Learn about the aquatic animals in the bay, and the many shore birds that depend on the life in those bays all while learning about conserving water. Fee $18 per girl, includes H2O patch.
Girl Scouts Photography Excursion Badge
June 23, 2018, 1– 4 p.m.
Join the Ward Museum to earn your Digital Photography Badge. You will have the opportunity to learn about photography techniques and methods from a professional photographer. You will go on a photo excursion and take pictures of wildlife and natural scenes around Salisbury University campus, then get a chance to edit them and create a digital photo project. Note: Meet at the bus stop in Parking Lot B on Salisbury University’s campus. Girls need to wear clothing appropriate for the weather. Fee $18 per girl, includes Photography patch.
- eBird Tuesdays – Go birding every Tuesday for free at the Ward Museum starting at 9:00 a.m. in the lobby. Join local birders, Ward Museum staff, and SU students and faculty as they collect data on local migrating bird populations and submit that data into the Cornell Lab of Ornithology’s eBird citizen science program. eBird provides the opportunity to collect real data for real scientific purposes. This event is free to the public.
- Drop in Art Jr. – Introduce children ages 0 to 6 to the natural world at Drop in Art Jr! Each program is organized around a theme and features fun crafts. This free program is held every Wednesday of each month from 10-11 a.m. Activities and artists supported by the Community Foundation of the Eastern Shore.
- Ward Museum Carving Club – Carve, learn, share and socialize. All skill levels welcome! 1st and 3rd Mondays at the Henson Center from 1:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. Participation in the Carving Club is free. Participants must be current members at the Ward Museum. Members must bring own materials. Curious about the Carving Club? Your first visit is free!
- Drop in Art – Join museum educators in the museum’s lobby from 10 a.m. to Noon on the 3rd Saturday of each month for this free family art program that is fun for all ages. Your family can drop-in, make and take fun art creations home with you. All children should be accompanied by an adult. Crafts available while supplies last.
The Ward Museum is proud to announce the official launch of Parties on the Pond. With the completion of the Legacy Center and Henson, our premier facility is now available to book your next party or event! Don’t forget, discounts are available for members. For more information, contact Kim Newcomb, Deputy Director, at 410-742-4988 ext. 108.
Are you a business or manage your own company?
The Ward Museum has a Corporate Partner program for you. A Corporate Partnership brings meaningful recognition for your business by building an association to the Ward Museum. Businesses can sponsor events, programs, youth field trips or make a contribution to the Ward Museum. Last year Corporate Partners helped the Education department reach over 50,000 Delmarva students. All contributions at $150 or more will receive Corporate Partner membership and benefits.
The Ward Museum is a leading tourist attraction, bringing 40,000 visitors from around the U.S. to Salisbury each year and triggers $6.l million in economic impact on our community. Invest your business in our community for today and tomorrow.
Your Corporate Partner membership has amazing benefits:
– Annual recognition on Ward Museum Corporate Partner plaque
– Recognition on signage and marketing materials for sponsorship
– Corporate name listed on Museum website
– Corporate Partner ID card and member benefits
– VIP passes for your business use
– Annual listing in Ward Museum journal
– Invitations to special exhibition openings for account representative
– Discount on facility rentals
These are basic benefits. We can customize benefits to fit your needs. Give Shawna Kearsley a call or email today firstname.lastname@example.org or 410-742-4988 ext. 102
MAY TREETOPS SPECIAL
Don’t forget the important women in your life this month, be sure to get her everything she deserves at Treetops Gifts. There are some great sales happening in the store, including 20% off spring scarves, Coastal roll-on perfume, wind chimes, and honey with the purchase of a mug. We have bagged Fisher’s popcorn at 50% off and tubs of caramel popcorn for 30% off. All REN jewelry or Purple Lily Studios soaps, lip balms, scrubs, and body butters are each buy one, get one 50% off. Get a beautiful suncatcher card for only $5 with a $30 or more purchase.
Members receive 10% off in Treetops in addition to sale prices. You can stack the sale and discounts up to 30% off. See store for any exclusions. See you in Treetops soon!
Enjoy Ward Museum member benefits starting at only $35 for an annual membership. Now it is easier than ever to join the Ward Museum, you can join or renew your membership online. Just choose a membership level from Treetops Gifts online or you can print the membership request form and mail in with your payment. Become a member today and start enjoying the perks.
Got time to spare? The Ward Museum is always looking for new volunteers to help with events, administrative duties, and other areas around museum. Volunteer for our upcoming events, Delmarvalous and the Art in Nature Photography Festival.
For more information call 410-742-4988 ext. 109 to learn more or email Mary Kline at email@example.com.
OTHER WAYS TO GIVE
- Did you know that we accept the donation of vehicles via Vehicles for Charity? Find out more here.
- Many companies support the personal philanthrophic contributions of their employees by offering corporate matching gifts to eligible non-profits. Find out more about Employee Matching Gifts here.
- Volunteering: This is a great way to give to help out at special events and ongoing programs.
- Downsizing? Please consider donating to the museum.
SAVE THE DATE
Make sure you save the dates for our exciting upcoming events!
October 12, 2018 – 50th Anniversary Golden Goose Reception and Auction
October 13, 2018 – Chesapeake Wildfowl Expo
December 8, 2018 – Silver Bells Holiday Quarter Auction
December 15, 2018 – Winter Wonderland